IT’S A WRAP
Do you remember the movie, You Don’t Mess With the Zohan? Remember Adam Sandler using hummus for EVERYTHING? I have been becoming that way with Tahini. Don’t worry, I am not brushing my teeth with it. However, if I could I sooooo would!
I have a problem digesting legumes, so peanut butter is out. I love almond butter, but I have zero self control so that’s out. (I am beginning to think I have zero control with tahini, so I may have to retire it soon…maybe not.)
Let’s make some tahini sauce!!!!
- 1/4-1/2 cup of tahini. (I use plain ground sesame tahini… no salt added, no nothing)
- 1 fully squeezed lemon. (don’t buy lemon juice. use your muscles!)
- fresh garlic or garlic powder to taste.
- cumin powder to taste. (a bissel)
mix these ingredients together. THEN…add water to thin out the mixture until it is like a thin sauce/ dressing, but not watery. MIX WELL.
*You can add freshly chopped parsley if you like or smoked paprika..depending on what you are adding it to. When making a tuna salad, I always add freshly chopped parsley and a spoonful of horseradish. You can add chopped red onion or scallions. however you want to fancy it up is on you! =)
I always put a bunch of chicken breasts in the crock pot so I can make tahini chicken salad. Aside from the chicken this is what will normally go in the crock pot:
Once the chicken is done I pull it out of the crock pot, let it cool and then mix it in the tahini sauce.
How do you wrap it up?
A friend of mine introduced me to this great recipe. When I say great, I mean that I am sure it was great as it was… but I couldn’t have it as is. I need to make sure it was Hillary approved and THEN and ONLY THEN would I know if it was truly a gem…IT IS!
Here is the link to the original recipe: here
What I changed and why:
- I used Arrowroot flour instead of Tapioca. I didn’t have experience using either flour. I have tried more things with arrowroot flour and have felt okay with it. I also learned along the way that it is in the ginger family can be soothing for an upset stomach. Sooo… if anything goes wrong, something will go right…right?
- I used Flax meal instead of eggs for the mere fact that I can’t have eggs. (1 tbsp of flax meal to 3 tbsp of water= 1 egg.) Plus, it is a great fat and a great source of fiber.
- I used coconut oil instead of palm shortening. I always have coconut oil in the house. It is anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, helps speed up the metabolism, great for the skin, and just tastes and smells great.
- I added a little garlic powder for flavor. Why? Why not?!!!