What is a girl to do when dairy of any kind is out and you need some sort of creamy, spreadable, mixable something?
Go to the store and get a prepackaged vegan spread? Only if I am in a complete bind.
This woman decided to pull out her super hero kitchen cape (I don’t really have a fancy cape, but I do have a fancy apron) and make her own schmear!!!
How did I get to that spoonful of delicious schmear you see in the pic below?
- Soak about a cup of raw cashews for 1-3 hours. The longer the better.
- Half a fresh squeezed lemon. Maybe more depending on your personal taste.
- Spoonful of horseradish…maybe more depending on taste.
- I finally found a dijon mustard that I like by the company Organic Ville .
- You can use fresh garlic or garlic powder to your taste.
- About a tablespoon or two of Flaxseed Meal .
- You will want to add water to your mixture…maybe about 2/3 cup
Things you can add depending on your likes or dislikes:
- red onion
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper
Load everything into your food processor and puree. You can make it so it is super fine or let it be slightly gritty. I like mine slightly gritty depending on what I am using it for. If you want it super fine, make sure you watch that it doesn’t get gummy. If it does, just add more water or even a little unsweetened almond milk.
You might have to take a spatula and scrape the uncrushed cashews off the side of the food processor and keep at it it until everything is nicely mixed up.
There are a million different types of pates, and schmears out there, so let flavor it how you like it. get creative! Have fun!