I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving weekend! I am still beaming from mine. All of my out of town family have gone back to their homes. My house is now officially WAY TOO QUIET!
It’s a funny thing with me… I need a lot of quiet “me” time, yet I love cooking and feeding my family. Nothing pleases me more than to have everyone come to my home and share a meal together. One would think I would welcome the peace and quiet, but I wouldn’t mind a few more days of this wonderful weekend that I experienced.
Why was this Thanksgiving weekend so special?
- My niece had her baby naming.
- My grandmother got to meet her great grand daughter. Seeing 4 generations in one room was so special.
- My, mom, dad, aunt, uncle, cousins, and grandmother came into town.
- All the food that was made by myself, my mom and my sister was very well received.
- Sunday brunch consisted of multiple sides of our family, some of which haven’t sat down for a meal together in over 7 years. It was beautiful, sincere and just lovely. I didn’t want it to end!
- I have been feeling like crap for a few months now and Sunday was the first day that I felt really good. I just felt LOVE.
So what did we have for Thanksgiving? Everything was Paleo including desserts.
- Squash soup with apples made my sister. It was amazing.
- Smoked turkey (my parents brought from South Carolina)
- Tuna/Yucca/Parsnip croquettes
- Cauliflower/Pumpkin/green curry cakes with a persimmon drizzle
- Tahini Green bean casserole
- Roasted brussel sprouts (made by my mom)
- White yam and celery root mash (made by my mom)
- Thanksgiving Salad which I will post the recipe for below.
- Apple Pear Kugel (which was served Sunday)
- Desserts: My mom made chocolate cherry biscotti, chocolate chip cookies and peppermint patties.
- I made 2 pumpkin pies, chocolate marble pie and “oreo cookies.”
The Thankful Salad Ingredients:
- 1 large golden beet peeled and shaved with a mandolin
- 1 bulb of fennel rinsed and shaved with a mandolin
- 1 gala apple washed and shaved with a mandolin
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tbsp of avocado oil
- 2-3 tbsp of coconut aminos.
- salt and pepper is optional
- 1 large purple carrot ribboned with a peeler
- 1 yellow carrot ribboned wiht a peeler
- 1 cucumber cut in cubes
- 1 ripe avocado cubed
- 1/4-1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1-2 scallions chopped very finely
- mixed greens. (enough to fill the salad bowl)
Ingredients for the Mouth Watering Marinade:
- 1/4 cup of pitted dates. (I used organic deglet noor)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil.
- 1 cup water.
- 1/2 squeezed small lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp of ground ginger.
- 1 tsp ground turmeric.
- 1 tsp cumin.
- Saute the beets, apple, fennel, garlic, avocado oil in about 3-4 tbsp of the mouth watering marinade. Cook until starts to brown. (medium to high heat)
- The rest of the vegetables can be tossed into your salad. If you want to add additional veggies, DO IT!
- I let my sauteed veggies cool so as not to wilt the greens. Once completely cooled, you can gently toss and mix evenly into your salad.
- Pour your dressing over your salad. (NOT THE ENTIRE AMOUNT)
The remainder of your dressing can be used as additional dressing if you need or as a marinade for some other proteins.