It is a mouthful to say but, after one bite you will want to bathe in this stuff!
A friend of mine gave me a recipe close to this one. My mom put her magical touch on it and made it her own. She has given me my love of cooking and I am forever grateful. She made this soup for Passover and so this is my tribute to my mother and our Seder in South Carolina.
If you have extras, I suggest you freeze it or invite me over for dinner.
Ingredients for Soup:
- Avocado oil for sauteing
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 small red onion
- 3 tbsp of freshly grated ginger
- 3 tbsp of curry powder or to your own personal taste
- turmeric to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 2 lbs of chopped
- 2 lbs of cubed butternut squash
- 8 cups of chicken bone broth OR veggie broth if you want to make it vegan or vegetarian
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
Directions for Soup:
- Saute onions, ginger and seasonings.
- Add veggies.
- Add broth and cook until everything is very soft.
- When everything has cooled you can puree and then at coconut milk.
- You can then add extra seasonings to your own liking.
Ingredients for Orange Spiced Cashews:
- 3 cups of whole raw cashews
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I made the exception to have this sweetener for the holiday)
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch of cayenne pepper
Directions for cashews:
- Coat nuts evenly and spread on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and bake on 350 for about 15 minutes. Once cooled, place in an air tight container.
When you are ready to serve the soup, sprinkle some cashews on top. It is a lovely addition.