I know it has been a while, but my husband and I were on a much needed vacation!
The weather was gorgeous. The scenery was something out of a movie. The people were beyond hospitable and the food was dreamy.
I had this one dish that that had walnuts and figs in a red wine sauce over meat that was was just so perfect that I knew I needed to recreate it.
I normally don’t drink red wine so I figured I could cook down red beets enough to give that richness that red wine would normally give. I think it worked quite well.
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 red beet shaved with a mandolin then chopped smaller
- 1 tbsp of fresh chopped mint
- 1 tsp of fresh dill
- 2 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 4-5 fresh chopped black mission figs
- 1 tsp of fresh parsley
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- olive oil or avocado oil to cook veggies in
- 3 lbs of chicken cutlets
Layer the chicken under and over the veggies so everything is evenly covered in the baking dish. Cover with foil and baking on 375 for about 30 minutes.
For the Squash:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 tbsp fresh dill + 2 tbsp of fresh mint+ 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- bake your squash , cut in half,face down in the oven for 40 minutes on 375 with the seeds scooped out.
- Once that’s done, scoop out the center and put the center in a bowl.
- Add the seeds of the pomegranate, the dill, mint, and parsley.
- Mix and enjoy. If you eat dairy, you can add some feta or goat cheese. You can also add some cashew cheese if you have some made.